Elizabeth focuses her law practice in the areas of estate planning and probate. She has been developing this practice since she joined her father at the law firm of Owen & Bogart in her hometown of Elgin, Texas, in 2002. Elizabeth is Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She regularly appears in probate court in Bastrop and surrounding counties.
In the area of estate planning, Elizabeth works with her clients to develop a unique plan that meets the particular family and social situation and succession goals of the client. This includes the drafting of wills and various types of trusts and providing additional estate and disability planning documents such as financial and medical powers of attorney, declaration of guardian and directive to physicians.
In the probate context, Elizabeth meets with her client to determine the type of probate or probate alternative that is most suitable to the particular situation. She represents clients in all kinds of probate matters including probate of wills, heirship determinations, and independent and dependent administrations (for intestate and testate estates). She also advises fiduciaries on the funding and administration of testamentary trusts.
Elizabeth’s current practice derives from her many years of experience in the estate planning and probate area, her previous trial and appellate experience successfully handling cases including will contests and contested guardianships through all phases of litigation in her current firm, and in her experience in the area of tax litigation in her previous job where she regularly practiced before the United States Tax Court, representing the Internal Revenue Service.
- Board Certified in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, conferred December 31, 2009
- Rice University, B.A., 1992
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., with honors, 1995
- State Bar of Texas, admitted 1995
- United States District Court, Western District of Texas
- United States Tax Court
- The College of the State Bar of Texas, Member since 2011
- Texas Bar College Fellow as of 2020
- Austin Bar Association, Member
- Bastrop County Bar Association, Member (President, 2004)
- Elgin Education Foundation, Director (President, 2009-2010)
- Elgin Basketball Association (Coach for Youth, 2006-2010)